Wednesday, January 28, 2009

So, what is a Christian?

Yesterday I said I believe that Jesus should not be kept secret and that we should tell the whole world. In the past few days I have also spoken of the Episcopal Church (I even gave you all a quiz), the Apostle Paul, and various kinds of ministry. So is this what it means to be a Christian? Who came up with the word? How is being a Christian relevant?

The to begin, thefirst known usage of the term Χριστιανός (christianos) can be found in the in The Acts of The Apostles (Acts 11:26) "the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch." The name Christian was first used to denote those known to be teachers or leaders of the church (saints). They were disciples and followers of Jesus, the Christ.

Today many Churches use it in their name or to describe their identity. Some say that one group is more a Christian than another. I'm not at all sure this is a good thing. But being a follower of Jesus is a very good thing.

As I have indicated several times in the past few days, I would love to hear YOUR thoughts too. What does being a Christian mean to you? How do others see Jesus in you (or do they)?

No comments: