Wednesday, July 01, 2009

DAY 44: DADT Update

As most of you know, Lt. Choi appeared yesterday morning in Syracuse, NY before the Federal Recognition Board, and they later in the day issued their recommendation that he be fired (discharged) from the Army for "moral and professional dereliction" under the stupid "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" policy. I was stunned when I heard the news . . . and then I cried. Dan is much stronger and I though folks and the board's decision to fire him is not the end. He will keep on fighting.

This is just one chapter too. Even if Dan had prevailed yesterday, we still need to see an end to DADT! I will always be on Dan Choi's side, but regardless of what happens in in his case, it is important to remember - this is NOT about Dan Choi - it is about ending a bad practice. It is about ending DADT. It is about doing the right thing.

The picture above, by the way, is me and Lt. Choi clowning a bit after the Mayor's press conference at SF Pride this past Sunday.

Don't lie! Don't hide! Never Give up!

No comments: