Friday, August 22, 2008

And night fell over the jungle . . .

Today is the 240th day of the year and back in 1966 on this date, the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee, later renamed the United Farm Workers of America, was formed founding leadership of Cesar Chavez. The strikes against certain California grape growers that started it all is something many of us remember, but we should take a moment to recall the legacy of Cesar Chavez.

That's only one of the things I want to mention today. I also want to point out that I am beginning my second week here of blogging without missing a day. I started this out several years ago and each time it fell by the wayside, so we shall see how it goes. It is not my intention to always write something, but at least make an entry most days.

A wonderful day it will be today. I feel rested and refreshed and thankful for this wonderful life. I am about to begin two weeks of vacation and have been busy planning next week's visit from my mom, sister, and aunt, I am trying to think of fun things to do here in San Francisco that all four of us will enjoy without spending too much money. Any suggestions?


And finally, today has an appointed reading that is a favorite of mine (Daily Office Lectionary for Evening Prayer, Acts 9:1-9). It is the beginning of the story of Saul's conversion. For me the witness and ministry of Saint Paul is a reminder that anyone can change from evil to good and that all sins are forgiven by the love of God. “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.”

No comments: