Saturday, August 23, 2008

You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God

I was just reading tomorrow's gospel (Matthew 16:13-20) and find a different spin on it. In the past I had always put the empahasis on the "who do you say that I am?" that our Lord asks Peter, but this time I looked instead at the keys. After all, we all carry keys of some kind. I don't have a car key (because I don't have a car) but I have church keys, house keys, work keys, and more. I suppose there are those "other" types of keys too like the key to his heart (aww - isn't that romantic?) or the key to the puzzle. I suppose if we have done some great deed we might have been presented with the key to the city. Sometimes we get the key to happiness.

"I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Okay. There is one I didn't have on my list. KEYS OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. What exactly is Jesus giving Peter? (Now since there has not been one comment left on my blog by anyone, here might be a good place to start - what do all of YOU think Jesus was giving)?

It seems obvious from context that what Jesus is offering here to Peter the rock, is something very valuable. What might those keys be? Give it some thought.

No comments: