Friday, February 06, 2009

The Word of the Lord

We all want to hear from God: to know His Will, to feel His encouragement, and to rest in His Love. The surest way to hear God's voice is through His Word, right?

In our busy days we don't make the time we ought to (the time we want and need) to get into the Bible. Sometimes you might want to consider reading a chapter or even just a page a day, perhaps just before bed. Reading the Psalms is a great place to start.

Actually I read the New Testament through from beginning to end, and then start over. I read to logical breaks (the end of a particular chapter of story). I also read the Psalter in the same way. I begin with Psalm 1 and continue on. When I get to the end, I simply go back to the beginning. Sometimes I use a different translation for the next time through.

I find comfort of course in Psalm 23. When I meditate on Matthew 6:25 and remember that I should not worry about anything but keep my trust in God.

My favorite? Well for those of you who know me, this should be no surprise. In Saint Paul's letter to the Romans (chapter 8) he says "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." How wonderful is that?

Try it. I think you will really like the result!

No comments: