Sunday, June 21, 2009

DAY 35: DADT Update

Don't Hide is what it says on those shirts I have spoken of a few times here and it, as I have said is also a good motto for all of us. Now five months into his presidency I might also say to Mr. Obama "Don't hide. Stay true to your promises."

Continuing my vacation here in Arizona, I have to tell you about some Army guys I ran into on a day trip to the Grand Canyon. I thanked them for their service, and then I asked them what they thought about Don't Ask/Don't Tell. All three of them opposed it and did not hesitate to say so! (I didn't ask, but don't think any of the three are gay).

I visited a church in Sodona, AZ this morning and in their newsletter was the following prayer:

Almighty God, we commend to your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trials and temptations; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(please note that it does not say no gays or lesbians - the prayer comments ALL men and women serving)

Oh and by the way, happy Pride Month to you all. There are celebrations all over the world. I'll be marching in the San Francisco one when I get home - Lt. Choi is Grand Marshall in that one. If you are in the SF area, come out and show your support!

No comments: