Monday, November 10, 2008

Love Is The Answer

Someone must have read my blog entry from yesterday. I found this sign held high at one of the numerous protests. There is so much activity though - perhaps there should have been a bit more before the election, but it is wonderful to see so many folks coming together. My favorite quote was from last Wednesday when I heard "I have never been so proud to be an American and so ashamed to me a Californian." (I think is was said by our Senior Senator, Dianne Feinstein).

Anyway, more than a third of California's lawmakers are adding their voices to the chorus calling on the state's highest court to overturn the prohibition on same-sex marriage. Forty-four members of the California Legislature will file a friend-of-the-court brief today in support of a lawsuit seeking to invalidate Proposition 8 on the grounds that voters did not have the authority to make such a dramatic change in state law. The brief argues that the gay marriage ban improperly usurped the state Supreme Court's duty to protect minority groups from discrimination. (Proposition 8 of course overturned the court's May decision that legalized same-sex marriage).

There is much more legal action too. I won't mention it all here, but there is a lot. The thing I really would like to see is education - REAL education. Let's show everyone the true facts. Let's put everyone's fears to rest. I'll say it again. Love is the answer!

No comments: