Sunday, November 09, 2008

Unconditional Love

Unconditional love is is when someone loves us regardless of our actions or beliefs. It is probably most often used to describe God's love for humankind. I am also fortunate enough to have a mother who gives me unconditional love. Why did I put a picture of me here when I post something about love? Well I also love myself. I wish that we all loved ourselves and that we all unconditionally loved each other. Isn't it possible?

I'm wondering why we don't seem to be finding love in our churches too. OK, not all of them. There are some great churches, full of love. Back in the 80s, at the height of the AIDS epidemic, the Dean of Grace Cathedral here in San Francisco was asked whether they tolerated gay people at Grace Cathedral. The dean gave a strong “No!” for an answer, and then went on to say “We don’t tolerate gay people. Gay people are us! We are all together here, friends and colleagues – straight and gay.” Go to Grace sometime - you can feel the love. You can feel it too at the Episcopal Church of Saint John the Evengelist. Actually there slogan is "More Love." I'm thinking though that since God's love is unconditional, we should also find unconditional love in His churches!

Prop 8 is about love. It's not about sex or about special considerations or extra rights. At the heart of it, is just love, and the right to express it. Why should that be so difficult? How come some people get to vote on whether or not I can get married?

I really wish we could all just find love - real unconditional love, and then help to spread it around!

No comments: