Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Prodigal Son


As you may recall, I went for mass last Saturday night for the Society of Saint Francis. There was great joy and I spoke of that, particularly in the music. I went again last night and it was again very joyous, but there was a different joy earlier in the day.

Yesterday I was invloved in many church events, including a wonderful presentation on ministry to the homeless, and a splendid organ recital. I began however with a eucharist. In the Episcopal Church, we are relatively quiet in church, which sometimes dismays me. Yesterday's gospel was the parable of The Prodigal Son.

Now for those of you who don't know, the Prodigal Son, also known as the Lost Son, is one of the best known parables of Jesus. It appears only in Saint Luke's Gospel, It is the third and final member of a trilogy, following the Parable of the Lost Sheep and the Parable of the Lost Coin. It is a wonderful story of a son who was lost, but who comes back into the family fold. Hearing it yesterday morning I wanted to scream out with a loud Amen or even the other "A" word (but we don't say that in Lent).

Why don't we show more joy in church? Jesus is so wonderful we should be shouting from the rooftops!

No comments: