Thursday, March 12, 2009

Things don’t always go the way you might wish

I tried to get back into something where my voice is utilized. (I was once in broadcasting and also did a lot of voice-over work). In my latest attempt, someone else was chosen over me. Things don’t always go the way you might wish.

I had thought that I might find someone I know who had a spare minute or two and we could have lunch together or even breakfast. (Being on vacation, I can do those things this week, whereas I normally cannot). I had though about how lovely it would be to get together with an old friend who I seldom get to see. I had thought about how nice it would be to go to a museum or a movie or shopping or anywhere with someone else during the day, when I am normally in work. Things don’t always go the way you might wish.

About a week ago I finished work and walked to a little place in Hayes Valley for a delicious plate of chicken in a special dish, available only there. Somehow signals got crossed because when I got there, my reserved plate had vanished and there was no food left! Things don’t always go the way you might wish.

Yes, it is quite true that things don't always go the way we might wish - the Prop 8 vote last November is another example, but that doesn't mean there is nothing we can do. We need to speak up sometimes. We need to pray. We need to never give up ourselves or allow ourselves to be too disappointed. Life goes on and it is a good life, even when things don’t always go the way you might wish.

No comments: