Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tragedy in Oakland

Last night I went to church and afterward went with several church members for drinks and then dinner. While we were chatting, the terrible news flashed on a television screen and I read the closed captioning - FOUR OAKLAND POLICE OFFICERS WERE KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY. I sat there stunned for a moment. Oakland, which is just across the Bay Bridge from where I live in San Francisco, is the home of many of my friends and co-workers. Even if that were not true, loss of human life is always a tragedy.

We heard later on that this is the first time this many police officers had been killed in the same day, in Oakland. It was one of the worst moments in California history. These kind of tragic events are a reminder of the dangers police officers voluntarily face in their efforts to protect the community. It is also a reminder that we have grave probelms in our society! How do things like this happen? When will we see an end to violence?

As I go to church this morning, they will be on my mind and in my prayers. May their souls rest in God's eternal peace and may God give their families and friends the strength to endure.

No comments: