Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Memories from my youth

I was thinking last night about times long ago, when I was a teen. (Yes, I do mean long ago)! Anyway, for a while we lived in the village of Cooperstown, NY and while there I spent time on Otsego Lake, sang in the choir and served at the altar at Christ Church, was a boy scout (I was still in the closet, so it was okay), and spent summers at Beaver-Cross, a church camp on the lake, near this site pictured here. This is Kingfisher Tower on Otsego Lake. I never knew why it existed, but it had a sort of regal beauty about it. Anyway, I was thinking about my youth, and I thought I would share a few memories.

Just about everything I can think of in those days is a positive memory for me now. I do remember when I first realized that I was gay. In that small town there were not a lot of role models and in those days most gay people were closeted, so that was hard. As time went on it became more and more difficult and I got tired of being the odd one. Thank God more people are coming out these days. Teen years can be hard enough without thinking you are a freak and that y0u are unloved!

Now don't get me wrong, my youth was good. As I said, I have pleasant memories. It just got more and more difficult though.

No comments: