Monday, September 08, 2008

How do we serve?

In his letter to the Romans, Saint Paul writes "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." Is this enough information? "Let him serve." What does this mean? There are many ways to serve! Surely the Blessed Apostle had something specific in mind. "Let him teach." Okay. Teach whom and where and what? I'm sorry but I need details! I am still trying to figure out just what it is that God is calling me to do. Saint Paul is usually a much bigger help, but if I depend on this passage, I really don't come away with the answers I need.

Yesterday I assisted at the altar for two seperate masses. Afterward I helped sell raffle tickets at a church fundraiser. In the evening I went to another church service where I was pretty much just a member of the congregation. Was I serving in any of these things? (Actually, at the first I would commonly be called a server or acolyte).

Last night I watched a special program on the life of Ruth (Mrs. Billy) Graham. What a remarkable woman she was! Now there was serving! Is this what the Lord wants me to do? (And no folks, I am not suggesting He wants me to marry an evangelist).

There are many ways to serve though - I should I serve God? What does He expect from me?

No comments: