Monday, September 29, 2008

Michaelmas

Today is one of my favorite days: Michaelmas, the Feast of Saint Michael and All Angels. (The picture is from a Chicago church - an incredible statue with Blessed Michael towering over Satan. If you pray before it on your knees, you are at eye level with the devil and therefore most prefer to stand and be closer to Saint Michael).I'm not sure if it is because my name is Michael or because I like the whole idea of angels or if it is because of all those glorious hymns. My favorite is this one -

Send thine archangel Michael to our succor;
peacemaker blessèd,
may he banish from us
striving and hatred,
so that for the peaceful
all things may prosper.

May the blest mother
of our God and Savior,
may the assembly
of the saints in glory,
may the celestial companies
of angelsever assist us.

Father Almighty, Son, and Holy Spirit,
God ever blessèd,
be thou our preserver;
thine is the glory
which the angels worship,
veiling their faces.

Blessed be Saint Michael and blessed be God for ever and ever!

1 comment:

Michael Fullam said...

I was so happy that we sang this at mass tonight!